General Symposium Info
What is the Appalachian Aerial Symposium?
The Appalachian Aerial Symposium is a conference event specifically for current and aspiring professionals in the aerial adventure field. It was created to bring local vendors, operators and regulators together to discuss the industry and its direc tion going forward.
West Virginia University and Adventure WV are excited to be hosting this event. Located at the WVU Outdoor Education Center, the Symposium is the first of its kind held for our region. Sessions pertaining to management, operations, training and experiential education will be held. Opportunities to connect and network will also exist.
When and where is the Symposium?
What can I expect by attending?
The intent behind hosting this event is to help galvanize the wealth of expertise within our region. The Appalachian area is specifically to home to some of the most impressive and innovative programs and facilities. Attendees can expect to not only meet other industry professional, but also obtain knowledge specifically geared toward aerial adventure management, facilitation, training and regulation.
Potential workshop topics include:
1. Risk Management
2. Staff Training
3. Facilitation Technique
4. Technical Skill Development
5. Program Delivery and Experiential Program Design
6. Interpretive Techniques
7. STEM Integration
8. Industry Direction & Regulatory Discussions
Who Can Attend the Symposium?
Short answer - anyone!
Although specifically designed to align with the direction of the aerial adventure, challenge course and zip-line canopy tour industry, the Appalachian Aerial Symposium is open to anyone seeking to gain a better understanding of systems, management, facilitation or simply looking to get started. We have an area rich in both talent and resources - so there is an open invitation to attend.
As the name implies - there is a strong emphasis with regional operations that fit within the Appalachian Mountain footprint. With that said, participation is heavily encouraged from individuals and operations from Ohio, Maryland, North Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee, Virginia and Pennsylvania.
Don't fit within the map above? No worries! Any and all are welcome.
Wednesday - March 21st
- Registration Begins: 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Pre-Conference Workshop:
- An Introduction to Interpretation for the Adventure Tourism Industry: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Learn more here!
- Pre-Symposium Dinner & Social: 6:30 p.m.
- Breakfast & Registration: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
- Session Block #1: 9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
- Session Block #2: 10:30 - 11:45 a.m.
- Lunch: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Session Block #3: 1:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
- Session Block #4: 2:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
- Concluding Keynote/Discussion: 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.