Skip to main content
Building Policies and Procedures
- General Building Policies
- The Westvaco building is a West Virginia University facility. Alcoholic beverages and smoking are strictly prohibited.
- The Westvaco building is open to educational and research-based functions only. Social events, such as weddings and receptions, are not permitted.
- The building may be opened as early as 7:30 a.m.
- Computer or fax machine capabilities are not provided.
- No food is to be left behind and should be thrown away upon the conclusion of each program.
- It shall be the responsibility of the group to communicate any special needs that may need accommodated.
- It shall be the responsibility of the group to arrange all meals associated with their reservation. Westvaco does not provide meals as part of any reservation.
- Groups are responsible for all personal items and belongings while using Westvaco. Adventure WV, the School of Forestry and Natural Resources and the Westvaco Management Team are not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged property.
- Groups are responsible for the general cleanliness of the Westvaco building. Failure to adhere to these responsibilities will result in an additional $100 cleaning fee. This responsibilities include:
- Trash put in proper receptacles.
- Room arrangements placed back in original form and floor swept (if needed).
- All personal gear removed from the building once the reservation is complete.
- Water is off in both the kitchen and bathroom areas.
- All lights are turned off - except for kitchen
- The group must report any maintenance issue immediately by contacting the Westvaco Management Team or designated reservation contact.
- All changes to Westvaco reservations should be placed through the WVU Outdoor Education Center as soon as possible. This changes must be made during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8AM-5PM).
- Cancellations made less than 72 hours prior to the reservation date are subject to a cancellation fee. This fee will reflect up to 20% of the reservation fee.
- Cancellations made by the Organization and/or the Program Contact within 48 hours of the established program date are subject to pay the entire portion of the program agreement.
- Cancellations due to weather or other extenuating circumstances (e.g. power outages) may reschedule.
Rental Accommodations and Program Information
- Internet Capabilities
Building Accommodations and Usage
- Wi-Fi and hardline internet options exist for rental groups. An Ethernet cable can be provided upon request. The Wi-Fi password is GoFirst! This password is case sensitive.
- Although Westvaco is equipped with high speed internet access -be mindful of group usage. The bandwidth is suitable for 3-5 devices.
Technology and Instructional Resources
- All Westvaco rentals include access to the following rooms.
- Main Presentation Hall -seats 80
- Alumni Conference Room -seats 10
- Outdoor Pavilion and Picnic Area-seats 35
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Men's and Women's bathroom
- Foyer entrance hall and welcoming area
WVU Outdoor Education Center Program Opportunities
- The following items can be available upon request.
- LCD Projector
- Located just above the Westvaco Natural Resource Center, the WVU Outdoor Education Center is home to the following activities:
WVU Challenge Course-Aerial events and team development course
WVU Zip Canopy Tour-Three ziplines, 5 tree platforms, 1 sky-bridge and 45 foot rappel.
Adventure Basecamp Overnight Facility-Overnight and classroom yurt structures
- Programs focus on education and teamwork and are custom created to meet group needs.
- Portables programs may also be facilitated inside the Westvaco facility.
- These activities can include icebreakers and name games -and are often great ways to begin meetings or events.
- In-depth program solving activities may also be facilitated.
- Programs can be scheduled through the Westvaco Management Team
Email: Westvaco@mail.wvu.edu or WVUChallengeCourse@mail.wvu.edu